Over-enthusiastic OOM killer.

From: Dave Jones (davej@suse.de)
Date: Wed Dec 12 2001 - 19:24:11 EST

The oom killer just killed a bunch of processes on my workstation.
What I don't understand, is why this was deemed necessary, when
there was 400MB of buffer cache sitting around in memory, and 175MB
of free swap space unused. (66mb of swap was used)

Seems something is drastically amiss here.

The box is still alive, if theres anything else I can provide,
although cron.daily just ran 5 minutes after the oomkill,
which has polluted the situation a little..

It's been up for just over 10 days on pre2.

regards,
Dave.