Re: FBdev remains in unusable state

From: Pozsar Balazs (pozsy@sch.bme.hu)
Date: Wed Dec 12 2001 - 15:14:27 EST

On Wed, 12 Dec 2001, Petr Vandrovec wrote:
> On 12 Dec 01 at 19:49, Pozsar Balazs wrote:
> >
> > The video card is a matrox G450, and I am using the vesa framebuffer.
> > (I know there's a seperate mga fb driver, but this should work for this
> > combination)
>
> No. vesafb does not work together with mga driver in X (although
> I believe that vesafb works with XFree mga driver, only Matrox driver
> is binary bad citizen).

I don't clearly understand you. I am using mga driver which is in the
official xfrr86 release.

> > Is this a bug in the kernel fb code, or in X? Are there any workarounds?
> > How could I restore textmode?
>
> Neither. X restore R/W registers to their previous values, while write-only
> registers to their values for normal text mode. Yes, there is a
> 'workaround'. Use (much faster) matroxfb.

What if setting those W-only registers to their appropiate values on
console-switches?
Why isn't it done by the vesafb driver?
How is the mga fb driver handle handling this situation better?

ps: My problem is that I have to use exactly the same kernel on different
machines, and I need fb. If not all machines have mga, than mga fb is
no-go.

thanks,

--
Pozsar Balazs