Re: Lockups with 2.4.14 and 2.4.16

From: Alan Cox (alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk)
Date: Tue Dec 11 2001 - 18:47:55 EST

> - My not-so-professional guess is that the machine is locked up waiting for
> some disk i/o that never happens, either to swap or normal filesystem. But,
> I might be all wrong.

I agree 100% with your diagnostic. Its directly as if your /var/spool volume
hung and the mylex stopped responding on that channel. I take it there is
nothing in dmesg ?

Another thing to try is

touch /foo &
hit return
(should report it finished)
touch /var/spool/foo &
(if this never returns you know you /var/spool choked for some reason)