Re: 2.4.16 & OOM killer screw up (fwd)

From: Marcelo Tosatti (marcelo@conectiva.com.br)
Date: Tue Dec 11 2001 - 11:45:16 EST

On Mon, 10 Dec 2001, Rik van Riel wrote:

> On Mon, 10 Dec 2001, Andrew Morton wrote:
>
> > A fix may be to just remove the use-once stuff. It is one of the
> > sources of this problem, because it's overpopulating the inactive list.
>
> Absolutely. Use-once is an inherently unstable system, suitable
> for things like a database load (where you know you want to spend
> a certain percentage of your RAM on caching the index), but not
> suitable for a general-purpose VM, where you have no idea how
> large the working set will be.
>
> I'll take a stab at completely removing the use-once stuff as an
> emergency measure.

Rik,

Could you please make a patch without use-once and post the patch to lkml
?

This way people can test it and report performance results.

I really would prefer to remove use-once as I also think its an
optimization which breaks some workloads, but I want to know what happens
in practice if we do that.