Re: [patch] auto-limiting IRQ load take #2, irq-rewrite-2.4.11-F4

From: Manfred Spraul (manfred@colorfullife.com)
Date: Wed Oct 03 2001 - 11:23:20 EST

On Wed, 3 Oct 2001, Ingo Molnar wrote:

> the attached patch contains a cleaned up version of IRQ
> auto-mitigation.

What's the purpose of the patch?
Should it enable itself under load, or is it an emergency switch if a
broken driver (or broken hardware) causes an IRQ storm that makes the
computer unusable?

As an emergency switch it's a good idea.
But it should never enable itself unless the box is nearly dead, and it
can't replace NAPI and interrupt mitigation.

> (i'd like to stress the point again that the goal of this approach
> is *not* to be nice. This is an airbag mechanizm, it can and
> will hurt performance. But my box does not lock up
> anymore.)

Ok, then I like the patch.

--
    Manfred