Re: [LONG RANT] Re: Linux stifles innovation...

From: Andre Hedrick (andre@linux-ide.org)
Date: Mon Feb 19 2001 - 14:27:37 EST

On Mon, 19 Feb 2001, Henning P . Schmiedehausen wrote:

> And yes, there _is_ IMHO a difference in telling someone on LKM,
> especially someone without deeper knowledge that is lookin for help:
>
> "You're using a non-open source driver, so we can't help you. Please
> ask your vendor for support."

Henning,

Lets be realistic here. If I take my BMW (M series) into the shop because
it has problem yet I tell the German Mechanic that he may not look under
the hood because there is a secret "wonder blunder" inside. Where do you
think that mechanic is going to tell you to go??

This is the motor(kernel-space) not the paint(user-space).

You have admitted that you are an "End-User"(of the kernel) and that you
generally write user-space packages. I have yet to understand why you are
going out of bounds. It is clear that you have read to many of my person
best flame-wars here on LKML where I know I must have earned :
        "Arse of the Year, 2000 :: LKML"

> "Fuck off, <insert binary vendor, software or distribution> Luser".

And you slammed me for being rude and ugly?? In my defense of code and
work that I publish, but heavily enforce the license and terms of use.
Since I am aware that about 96% of all linux boxes today use some form of
ATA/ATAPI, it is important that I recover all know fixes public/private
to help everyone.

> ("Der Ton macht die Musik". Sorry don't know the equal english
> expression).

I now see the joy in watching someone go nuts here on LKML.

Respectfully,

Andre Hedrick
Linux ATA Development

ps. Please keep up the entertainment, I am getting a good belly-laugh
    of what I must have looked like in the past.