Re: Linux stifles innovation...

From: Matt D. Robinson (yakker@alacritech.com)
Date: Fri Feb 16 2001 - 18:45:43 EST

The day the Linux kernel splinters into multiple, distinct efforts is the
day I'll believe the kernel is fully into progress over "preference". Right
now, Alan accepts what he thinks should go into stable kernels, and Linus
accepts what he thinks should go into future kernels. I'm not saying they
aren't doing the right things, or that the system doesn't work, but it's
hardly what I would call a progressive movement. It's simply long,
drawn-out evolution at best.

I'm surprised the major vendors haven't created their own consortium
by now to create a Linux kernel they think is best suited for their own
hardware. But then again, they probably still spend all their time worrying
about whether their efforts will be "accepted" into the mainstream Linux
kernel. Now _that's_ what I consider to be stifling innovation and
progression.

Kind of off-topic, but whatever ...

--Matt