Re: Linux stifles innovation...

From: Hristo Doichev (donquixote@pacbell.net)
Date: Fri Feb 16 2001 - 18:33:55 EST

On the surface you seem to make some good points.
In reality ... ??
Money doesn't buy the ability to innovate!
OSS doesn't, magically, enhance the ability to innovate, aither!
No one can predict where and why an innovation occurs.

The only thing that OSS does to MS is to prohibit them for capitalizing
on ideas that are born within the OSS community. This must hurt them (MS)
since there are a lot of cool ideas they (MS) would like to snatch. Just take
a look at the list of companies acquired by MS. Considering the amount of
money MS puts into software R&D there should be nothing left for the rest of
the world to discover or invent?! :-0
If anything, MS is the prime example of immature and unreliable code
(applications). Money doesn't even guarantee stability and usability of your
applications. Perhaps you are one of those rare souls that has absolutely
no problems with MS products which, mind you, up until now were not
experimental. On the other hand Windows XP stands, obviously, for Windows
eXPeriment.

Innovations by hackers that developed KDE and Gnome can change the way you
use your computer. For instance, have you been to www.eazel.com? While
Nautilus is of no interest to me you can run an entire Linux Desktop over the
internet by just using your browser. Try the demo ... pull up a console and
fire off some commands, try GnuCash or something!!!!
It is super cool and it is great technology that comes for free with just
about all Linux distributions. I bet MS would like to be able to do the same

regards.
Hristo Doichev