RE: ide/disk perf?

From: Pierre Etchemaite (petchema@concept-micro.com)
Date: Mon Oct 30 2000 - 06:09:43 EST

Le 30-Oct-2000, Mohammad A. Haque écrivait :
> Could someone who knows ide and drive inside and out (Andre?) please
> take a look at these figures? Am I forgetting to do something (or doing
> something I'm not suposed to) to get the best numbers? I thought I'd be
> able to get more than ~4MB/sec off the HPT366 and a UDMA66 drive.

It could be unrelated, but I had problems several times with Maxtor drives
recently; Their performances are usually high (some models give >20 Mb/s
both reads and writes), but under some conditions that I couldn't narrow down
yet, the read throughput is stuck to the floor (a few megabytes/sec) until
next reboot. The write performance is always ok.

I don't think it's a chipset problem, with a box filled with several Maxtor
drives and I observe the problem with some disk and not others at the same time.

I don't think it's a Linux problem either, since it can be observed with
Windows benchmarking tools too.

As a side note, I usually get better results tweaking disks using kernel
compiling options ("default to DMA", "autotune chipset", ...) than using hdparm
-d1 and friends, give it a try.

--
Linux blade.workgroup 2.4.0-test10 #1 Sat Oct 28 18:00:09 CEST 2000 i686 unknown
  1:09pm  up 1 day, 19:01,  2 users,  load average: 1.04, 1.08, 1.09