Re: I really hate to do this...

From: Keith Owens (kaos@ocs.com.au)
Date: Mon Jun 26 2000 - 07:15:45 EST

On Mon, 26 Jun 2000 02:23:10 -0600,
"Nasa" <nasa000@home.com> wrote:
>Call me stupid -- but I did as you suggested. I added kdb support into the
>kernel (test2) and recompiled.
>After getting everything installed, I reboot and try to startup XFree. This
>causes the system to lock and I get a blank screen. I know kdb is working
>as my Cap Lock is blinking on and off. However, I can't get to a VT to see
>what is being outputed. Do I have to have a second machine to make this
>work? How am I suppose to see what is going on? Thanks agian

You need a text console to enter kdb commands. While kdb is in control
you cannot use interrupts, mice etc. That means that you cannot switch
from X11 back to a text screen.

The best way to debug using kdb is to compile the kernel with a serial
console, see char options on the config menu. Boot the kernel with the
serial option (console=ttySx) and run a serial line to a second
machine. kdb will come up on the second screen. See
Documentation/serial-console.txt for details.