Re: 2.2.14/APM: Thinkpad 560 can suspend/hibernate only once

From: Ole Aamot (ole@linpro.no)
Date: Thu Jun 15 2000 - 19:39:58 EST

Sanjoy Mahajan <sanjoy@mrao.cam.ac.uk> writes:

> I still cannot get my ThinkPad 560 (BIOS 1.11) to suspend or hibernate
> more than once; I'm running a mostly stock RH 6.2, with kernel 2.2.14
> patched with the 2.2.14-APM.3 patch (now integrated into 2.2.15pre8).

Hi Sanjoy,

Check out Thomas Hood's tpctl distribution. I've removed apmd from
my ThinkPad 560X (RH 6.2, Linux 2.2.16) after I finally found tpctl.

http://panopticon.csustan.edu/thood/tpctl_ftp/tpctl-0.8.8.src.tar.gz

-- cut from tpctl-0.8.8/README --

              ThinkPad configuration tools for Linux

Introduction
============

Execute
        man ./tpctl.1
to see the tpctl man page.

thinkpad.o, smapi.o, superio.o and rtcmosram.o are loadable kernel modules
that serve as interfaces to the IBM System Management Application Program
Interface (SMAPI) BIOS found in some IBM ThinkPad laptop computers, and as
drivers of certain ThinkPad hardware components. Access to the modules is
via the ioctl() system call. Each module adds an entry under /proc/thinkpad
named like itself which contains some information about the module.

libsmapidev.o is a library of functions that can be used to access
(some of) the features of the smapi.o module.

tpctl is a console interface to the modules.

ntpctl is an ncurses interface to the modules.

The "other_tools" directory contains some other tools that may be useful
to you depending on which ThinkPad you have. Each one is compiled and
installed separately. Just cd to the subdirectory, read the README
there and execute "make all ; make install" to install.

---8-<---

Hope this helps.

--
Ole Aamot                     http://intern.linpro.no/~ole/