RE: Rage Pro LT Meltdown with Mach 64 framebuffer driver

From: Brad Douglas (Brad@NERUO.com)
Date: Thu Jun 15 2000 - 16:54:53 EST

You have the wrong concept, here. Yes, they sync at 70Hz. Does it display
a correct image? Generally, no. The screen is usually shifted in some
manner.

Take for instance the laptop that started this discussion. It couldn't even
display a readable screen at that specific mode.

I have tested 640x400@70 on 4 monitors ranging from ViewSonic (View17GS) to
Brand X and all have screen shift of some sort. 640x480@60 got me a near
perfect screen every time without any adjustments.

The real solution (for most) is DDC/fbmon, but that's not a 2.4.x solution.

I'm just talking about an minor inconvenience, not a show stopper.
Naturally, we can't compensate for every monitor, but we can choose a mode
that works for most.

I've taken the conversation private with Geert to reduce LKML clutter.

Brad Douglas
brad@neruo.com
http://www.linux-fbdev.org