Rage Pro LT Meltdown with Mach 64 framebuffer driver

From: Michael D. Crawford (crawford@goingware.com)
Date: Thu Jun 15 2000 - 08:55:29 EST

I had previously reported that my ATI Rage Pro LT wasn't working with
the aty128fb.c driver (Rage 128).

Brad Douglas thought this was the wrong driver, and suggested I use the
Mach64 driver (atyfb.c). Looking at the source it does appear this is
the right driver to use. I got a little video with some really scary
results.

What happens is that early in the boot I see the console messages drawn
correctly on the left hand side of the screen, but duplicated on the
right hand side of the screen.

I don't know exactly at what point the text stopped scrolling, but got
about halfway up my screen.

Then the most amazing thing happens. The screen gets all blotchy,
starting to turn white starting from the edges and moving inwards. It
looks really scary, like the screen is being destroyed.

I held down the power button to force it to shut off. Rebooting from an
earlier kernel my screen was OK again.

This was with 2.4.0-test1-ac18

I think I had used the Mach64 X server during an earlier installation
that has since got nuked. But I couldn't use just any server, it had to
be a recent one. To support the LT it was whatever was available last
fall. The server in Slackware 4 didn't work but the one in Slackware 7
does.

I know I could just use the Mach 64 x server, but I think it's important
to get the framebuffer working well. X is much easier to configure if
you use the framebuffer, and I think getting X configured is one of the
biggest barriers to most people doing their own Linux installation.

VESA VGA does work OK for me though.

My machine is a Compaq Presario 1800T and is described at:

http://www.goingware.com/laptop

lspci -n

00:00.0 Class 0600: 8086:7190 (rev 03)
00:01.0 Class 0604: 8086:7191 (rev 03)
00:07.0 Class 0601: 8086:7110 (rev 02)
00:07.1 Class 0101: 8086:7111 (rev 01)
00:07.2 Class 0c03: 8086:7112 (rev 01)
00:07.3 Class 0680: 8086:7113 (rev 03)
00:09.0 Class 0780: 11c1:0441 (rev 01)
00:0a.0 Class 0607: 104c:ac1e
00:11.0 Class 0401: 125d:1969 (rev 02)
00:12.0 Class 0200: 1011:0019 (rev 41)
01:00.0 Class 0300: 1002:4c42 (rev dc)

other chips are a dec 21143 ethernet, ESS Solo 1 sound, a TI 1211
cardbus bridge, and something for driving analog video to a TV set. I'm
not sure if I have a hardware DVD decoder or not, but in the original
win98 installation I could play dvd's out an RCA jack to a tv set (it
would be really cool if someone could figure out what _that_ is and give
me a driver for it).

Mike

--
Michael D. Crawford