Re: It's time to get rid of zImage

From: Darin Smith (darin_smith@adc.com)
Date: Wed Jun 14 2000 - 16:30:34 EST

I'm sure this has been thought of, but...

I'm just curious what the plan here for other architectures is? I've
seen the idea being
tossed about of just having bzImage. Somebody wanted an example of a
machine that
does NOT boot a bzImage. Well here ya go:

PPC doesn't even have a target called 'bzImage', and for good reason.
It is not limited by the size of the image and doesn't have to juggle
things all
over memory. zImage works great though, especially for network booting
where I don't
want to be sucking down a big vmlinux. I don't mind the slight overhead
of
decompressing the image at the beginning. And zImage.initrd is even
nicer for when
I (or someone I'm helping) hose the world.

However this is worked out, everybody please just keep in mind that
Linux is no longer
strictly x86, and big decisions based around x86 oddities are going to
affect
lots of other folks.

Regards,

Darin W. Smith