weird xaudio / netscape interaction in 2.4.0-test1-ac18

From: Bonita Hatcher (crawford@goingware.com)
Date: Wed Jun 14 2000 - 17:36:46 EST

I've noticed in some recent versions that there will sometimes be
interactions between xaudio 1.0.5 and netscape navigator 4.73.

I do this sometimes in a directory full of the fruit of gtk_gnutella to
set the mood for my kernel testing:

xaudio *.mp3 &

It plays mostly OK but sometimes xaudio will have some trouble decoding
the file or something and I'll hear a high-pitched steady tone that will
stop after a while.

What's interesting is that I noticed this will happen when netscape is
having some trouble downloading some webpages. Pressing the stop button
will allow my listening pleasure to resume to its fullest.

But what's especially interesting is that the stuck high-pitched tone
will happen when nothing significant appears to be happening on the
system, but I can unstick it by activating a netscape window. So this
real-time audio program is completely wedged but just clicking a window
in X fixes it.

So could something be deadlocked in the kernel that gets unstuck by some
kind of activity from userland?

I could try in the latest release kernel to see if this happens there
too.

My distribution is slackware 7 on a compaq presario 1800T that is
described at:

http://www.goingware.com/laptop

--
Michael D. Crawford