/dev/tty0 for alternate card?

From: Jeff Waller (jeff-w@mindspring.com)
Date: Wed Jun 14 2000 - 01:19:53 EST

Really a appeal for explanation....

The problem is trying to deal with an video card that is
unsupported by XFree86 (new card == Voodoo 5500)
by also retaining another card that is (old card == Voodoo 3).
One's AGP and the other isn't. BIOS is set to use
the new card as the primary display. The PCI addrs
are 1:5:0 and 1:5:1 (2 processors) and 0:3:0 for the new and
old cards respectively. I thought I configured X to only use
the second card (for the time being) and it seems to almost
work, but pretty much as expected, crashes with a
"this can't possibly happen!" message. So I decide to
hack the server not to try to throw the primary display
tty0 into graphics mode which amounts right now to
commenting out xf86OpenConsole and xf86CloseConsole
later on and that also seems to almost work, but sadly
when doing a gdbing XFree86 results in the start up
messages only and then no further output until ctrl-c (luckily)
and then the tty doesn't even restore to to the state before
the program was started, but seems to inherit the state from
like tty1 or something.

Most likely my hack is wrong (it was quite heavy handed),
and this weird state is generated from some other part that
I haven't looked at yet. However before proceeding I have
a few questions. Sorry to even post this, but it seems like
the only appropriate forum.as questions sent to xfree86.org are
like redirecting to /dev/null. So after all that here are the
questions...

kernel is 2.2.15pre19, XFree is 4.0 Hw is Athlon 500 with FIC
motherboard, and as stated above VGA cards are Voodoo 3
2000 and Voodoo 5500 AGP.

Are the tty's tty# only associated with the primary display?
As far as BIOS is concerned, can there be only 1 display?
The documentation on the console_ioctl man page says that
it's probably only accurate w.r.t. 1.x kernels (was last updated
in 1995). Can tty output be "quenched" like appeared
to happen without interacting with tty# (some other driver?)
apparently the X server does not close stderr.

-Jeff