Re: (reiserfs) Re: Red Hat (was Re: reiserfs)

From: James Sutherland (jas88@cam.ac.uk)
Date: Tue Jun 13 2000 - 10:32:02 EST

On Tue, 13 Jun 2000, Hans Reiser wrote:

> If you can reproduce a bug on the current version of reiserfs, please
> do so and report it. I think you'd rather throw mud though.

No, I'd rather just leave RFS to mature for a while, while we work on
getting 2.4.0 ready.

> We have a bug report regarding postgresql we haven't investigated yet.
> We have another bug regarding knfsd, which isn't stable for ext2
> either last I heard (though there is a patch floating around which may
> improve things I hear.)

I've heard a couple of horror stories about RFS chewing up data. Frankly,
whether it loses data or not isn't relevant at this point. You will,
presumably, continue developing RFS anyway; meanwhile, the kernel will
continue to be developed. At some point, RFS will be ready for inclusion,
and the relevant hooks will have been included and tested in the kernel:
until that time, RFS should remain external.

> We have lots of users using ReiserFS quite happily (e.g. Source Forge
> is reiserfs, MP3.com is reiserfs,

That's something of an exaggeration. MP3.com have a group of Squid cache
servers using RFS. Their main backend is a NetApp Filer.

> they are quite happy with us).

They'd probably be less happy if they'd just lost an entire SQL database
to your software...

> Maybe if you used ReiserFS rather than saying these things without
> using it, you'd know we aren't "half finished".

The integration into the kernel doesn't appear to work properly yet, FWIH.
Even if it does, it's too late for the code to go in now, so what are you
arguing about?

James.