PROBLEM: 2.2.16 causes system lockup

From: Philip I. Long (plong@mitre.org)
Date: Tue Jun 13 2000 - 10:27:10 EST

2.2.16 causes system lockup

Most stable have been good on my system (2.3.3X -2.3.4X worked well
also). 2.2.0-2.2.15 inclusive have been pretty good (on occasion, I
have been unable to kill processes). Twice 2.2.16 has caused a lockup
of my system within 15 min of use. The first time it was just locked
and had to be powered down. The second time, the sound card made a
repetitive noise and had to be powered down. In both cases, the box did
not respond to pings or telnet. This is a production machine so I can't
keep messing with 2.2.16 and have backed down to 2.2.15.

The system is:

Asus P2B-DS motherboard (BX chipset, AIC-7890/3860 Ultra/LVD SCSI
chipset)
2xPII 350
512MB RAM (Corsair CAS2 PC100 4x128 MB Sticks)
Creative/Ensoniq Audio PCI 1371
Bay Networks Tulip 10/100 NIC (forced with mii-diag to 100Mbps FD)
3 Quantum Atlas II 18.2 GB Drives, Internal the Ultra SCSI; no RAID
A plextor Ultraplex and PlexWriter (external on the ultra SCSI bridge)
Matrox G400 AGP/32 MB with a single head

The box is used both as my desktop and a group server (Samba, Apache,
wu-ftpd, etc.)

I would be happy to provide additional information or attach my .config
if that would be helpful.

Thanks,
Phil Long