Re: (reiserfs) Re: Red Hat (was Re: reiserfs)

From: Hans Reiser (hans@reiser.to)
Date: Tue Jun 13 2000 - 15:03:50 EST

James Sutherland wrote:
> There have been perfectly normal situations where RFS b0rks horribly, it
> seems.
>
> > I thought there was an EXPERIMENTAL tag in the config for these sorts
> > of things so those who wanted could use them and those who didn't
> > don't even get to see it by default?
>
> It's for new, experimental code - not half-finished code!
>
> > Then with the extra feedback the outstanding issues (if any) could be
> > resolved?
>
> Right now, most of the feedback tends to result in a mudslinging contest,
> where someone reports an area where RFS is completely broken, to which
> Reiser replies with another benchmark showing that RFS is about the same
> speed as ext2, only less reliable. (That's not quite his interpretation,
> of course...)

If you can reproduce a bug on the current version of reiserfs, please do so and
report it. I think you'd rather throw mud though. We have a bug report
regarding postgresql we haven't investigated yet. We have another bug regarding
knfsd, which isn't stable for ext2 either last I heard (though there is a patch
floating around which may improve things I hear.) We have lots of users using
ReiserFS quite happily (e.g. Source Forge is reiserfs, MP3.com is reiserfs, they
are quite happy with us). Maybe if you used ReiserFS rather than saying these
things without using it, you'd know we aren't "half finished".

Hans