Re: 2.4.0-test1 ALI 15x3 DMA error

From: Mike Perry (mikepery@fscked.org)
Date: Mon Jun 12 2000 - 23:11:34 EST

Thus spake Andre Hedrick (andre@linux-ide.org):
> Because that series of drives are ATA-66 compatable and not compliant.
> Come on you can't expect me to remember every drive variation based upon
> name, model, firmware.....I get most but I forget about things until
> someting triggers the issue.
Yeah, I don't expect that at all, but the way you responded insinuated (to me
at least), that this was something well known (or at something that I should
have known), and possibly warned against in some documentation. When all I saw
was a one sentence reply (with an exclaimation mark, no less), I immediately
feared that I had done something dumb and risked data corruption.

> These series is known to be quirky on super-socket-7 systems.
Word. Seems to be the case with everything on this socket 7 crap. ;)

> > > MPD are fake ATA-66 drives!
> > Woah, woah woah.. It never said anything in the help about this, nor in the
> > comments in drivers/ide/alim15x3.c. Is there risk of data corruption here?
> > If so and this is known, why isn't there a warning/detection like the WDC one?
>
> No just deadlocks......this is a hell of alot better than FSC.

Ahh, phew. That's a load off. Will there ever be any form of reliable limited
DMA (ATA33 or something?) for this drive? Again, when I responded above, I was
in no way trying to accuse you of doing a bad job or anything, I was just
taken aback by the short exclamatory reply, and feared for the safety of my
beloved data :)

--
Mike Perry
http://got.fscked.org?