Re: Compaq SMP problem (PLUG list repost with updates)

From: Andrey Savochkin (saw@saw.sw.com.sg)
Date: Mon Jun 12 2000 - 22:40:28 EST

Hello,

On Mon, Jun 12, 2000 at 09:17:18PM +0800, Raven wrote:
> The problem:
>
> The problem is with network performance. After some period of time,
> network performance drops off to almost nothing. FTP's that crank
> through at 8-10 Mbyte/sec when the machine is 'fresh' drop off to
> sub-modem speeds ie. < 2KBytes/sec when it gets 'sick'.
>
> The drop-off can happen after a few hours of operation, or it can happen
> after a week. No other major symptoms, everything other than network
> related operations seem to perform OK. The only common factor is that
> the system has allocated most or all of it's memory for some purpose
> (not unusual for a Unix system).
[snip]
> One time when the machine got sick the interface was downed, the network
> card module unloaded and reloaded and the interface brought back up.
> This had no effect, the machine still ran slow until the next reboot.

The network slowdown may be caused by link level flow control.
I'm not sure if the flow control frames are able to propagate through
switches, but check if other systems in this network. Old eepro100 drivers
didn't have a workaround for hardware transmission of flow control frames on
system shutdown. Non-Linux systems with Intel cards may have similar
problems, too.

Best regards
                                        Andrey V.
                                        Savochkin