Buffer use by the kernel

From: Ludovic LANGE (ludovic.lange@free.fr)
Date: Mon Jun 12 2000 - 15:30:50 EST

Hi there,

I'm sorry if this has already been answered in a previous thread, if so
please point me to the right document.

I have a problem on my laptop where the kernel's buffer size grows up to
104000 Kbytes, and never comes down (measured with 'free').
The immediate effect of this (I 'only' have 128M memory) is a switch to
swap disk (I have a 256M swap partition around), and from there on, the
laptop becomes unusable (you know, on laptops hard disk are *slow*).

I cannot seem to detect *when* does the buffer starts to grow. On a
typical console session, buffer use is around 50284 KBytes. When using X
windows + KDE, it's around 70000K.
And after a few hours of work it reaches 104000 KBytes. Then , I have to
power off because it *is* unusable....

I have a PII, 400MHz, Compaq portable. 128M. 1Go partition for Linux.
A redhat 6.2 distro, with a 2.2.16 kernel hand-compiled, + APM + PCMCIA
+ NTFS driver .

Any clue to track the buffer use ?
Is there a way to log or print which part of the kernel uses these
buffers ?

A+
:.˛mkabzwmb˛mbz_^nrzh&zvy杶ii