Re: Buffer use by the kernel

From: Anton Altaparmakov (aia21@cam.ac.uk)
Date: Mon Jun 12 2000 - 21:51:57 EST

At 21:30 12/06/2000, Ludovic LANGE wrote:
>I have a PII, 400MHz, Compaq portable. 128M. 1Go partition for Linux.
>A redhat 6.2 distro, with a 2.2.16 kernel hand-compiled, + APM + PCMCIA
>+ NTFS driver .
>
>Any clue to track the buffer use ?

NTFS driver is top suspicion. - This is a know problem however nobody has
managed to come up with an explanation yet of why it happens.

Just to verify its the NTFS driver could you recompile without it or if its
a module do not insert the module into the kernel and see if the situation
is drastically improved. - Please let me know the outcome!

>Is there a way to log or print which part of the kernel uses these
>buffers ?

You can monitor buffers using "vmstat 1". - This will run vmstat and output
one line every second about how many resources are being used (man vmstat
for details). - Of course you could set the time from 1 second up to
something else if you find that more convenient...

This doesn't however tell you who is using resources, just that they are
being used.

Anton

--

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

-- Anton Altaparmakov Voice: 01223-333541(lab) / 07712-632205(mobile) Christ's College eMail: AntonA@bigfoot.com Cambridge CB2 3BU ICQ: 8561279 United Kingdom WWW: http://www-stu.christs.cam.ac.uk/~aia21/