Re: Initialization order of PCI devices

From: Riley Williams (rhw@MemAlpha.cx)
Date: Sun Jun 11 2000 - 11:32:25 EST

Hi David.

> To be honest, I don't think any of it's necessary in the
> kernel. The initial device ordering isn't
> non-deterministic, so it should suffice to simply work out
> which eth%d you have to pass to the kernel on the command
> line to get it to work nicely on your network. Perhaps you
> may have to recalculate that each time you change your
> BIOS/kernel, but it's not going to change very often.

> Heuristics for changing the device names from userspace
> later are a different issue, and MAC addresses, although
> not universally unique, are a sensible option for allowing
> a sysadmin to number their interfaces.

What I would like to see is some means of booting an NFSroot box
and telling the kernel "The boot net interface is always the
Tulip one, so use it at boot time as eth0".

As far as I know, this isn't possible if there's two or more
different types of interface present.

Best wishes from Riley.

 * Copyright (C) 2000, Memory Alpha Systems.
 * All rights and wrongs reserved.