Re: New Linux 2.5 - 2.6 TODO (Alan Cox suggests delaying reiserfs integration)

From: Henning P. Schmiedehausen (hps@tanstaafl.de)
Date: Sat Jun 10 2000 - 10:38:18 EST

hans@reiser.to (Hans Reiser) writes:

>"Henning P. Schmiedehausen" wrote:

[ PostgreSQL eats ReiserFS drive ]

>Does postgresql on linux depend on O_SYNC, which we don't support?
>Perhaps we need to return a failure if O_SYNC is used.

Uhm, sorry, but I don't know. I opened the box, I installed the
Distribution, I added a kernel with ReiserFS support, set up a
partition. Voila. I got no warning messages or errors. Just data
corruption. If it does depend on it (I would say so as the database
supports transactions with ACID capabilities), then it should fail on
ReiserFS.

I will prepare a test case shortly.

        Regards
                Henning

--
Dipl.-Inf. (Univ.) Henning P. Schmiedehausen --             hps@tanstaafl.de
TANSTAAFL! Consulting - Unix, Internet, Security

Hutweide 15 Fon.: 09131 / 50654-0 "There ain't no such D-91054 Buckenhof Fax.: 09131 / 50654-20 thing as a free Linux"