Re: Floppy handling

From: Ian McKellar (yakk-linux-kernel@yakk.net.au)
Date: Sat Jun 10 2000 - 11:00:30 EST

On Sat, Jun 10, 2000 at 09:47:03AM -0600, Richard Stallman wrote:
> I've been looking at implementing msdos filesystem support in the GNOME
> VFS (virtual filesystem) layer. This way users could be given read and
> write access to the device (eg: /dev/fd0) and the filesystem stuff
> would happen at the library level. This wouldn't be as fast (due to the
> lack of caching) and would only be available to GNOME programs, but I
> think its a solution to the problem.
>
> Despite my loyalty to GNOME (as a part of the GNU Project), on
> technical grounds I have to disagree. File access needs to be
> available to all the programs on the system, and the only natural way
> to do that is through the kernel and the C library. Doing this in
> GNOME will produce a feature that half-works, which means it will
> appear to the users as an unreliable feature.

I sort of agree with you on this, but you can extend this argument to just
about any feature of a non-core library. In GTK we implement widgets which
the X libraries don't. This leads to user interface inconsistencies. In
gnome-vfs we support remote filesystems which libc doesn't. This leads to
inconsistent filesystem handling between applications.

Ian

--
Ian  McKellar |    Email: yakk(a)yakk.net |    Web: http://www.yakk.net/
Area: +61 (8) | Home: 9389 9152 | Fax/Voice: 9260 2903 | Work: 9384 4700