Re: (reiserfs) Re: New Linux 2.5 - 2.6 TODO (Alan Cox suggests delaying

From: Rogier Wolff (R.E.Wolff@BitWizard.nl)
Date: Tue Jun 06 2000 - 08:11:57 EST

Alan Cox wrote:
> > > always go backwards. 2.2.15 for example does nothing to your box that means
> > > you cannot go back to 2.2.0.
> >
> > What? so you mean to go backwards from 2.4 to 2.2? This is crazy!
>
> Everyone I know running a large production environment would think otherwise.

Yes. I've had to do this. I do commercial datarecovery jobs. We
promise 24 hours turnaround, so rebooting every half hour due to 2.4
instability is unacceptable. (and yes, I reverted to 2.2.15 when it
crashed on me the second time in an hour.)

> How do I know this - because I deal with people who are running 2.0.38 with
> Red Hat 6.2 and with other current dists.

Ah Yes, I maintain a SuSE 6.3 system that now runs 2.0.38, and is
expected to run that for another 8 years or so... (And I still think
that it's the Linux-machine with the largest hourly turnover in the
world. Can anybody beat $70M/hour?)

                                Roger.

*       Common sense is the collection of                                *
******  prejudices acquired by age eighteen.   -- Albert Einstein ********