Re: ULTRA ATA/100 announced

From: Helge Hafting (helgehaf@idb.hist.no)
Date: Tue Jun 06 2000 - 03:01:02 EST

>If we get ATA/100 then why buy SCSI?

Because you can get even faster scsi, if money isn't a problem.
And with scsi, the host adapter has the same interface
as a disk. So you can share cdroms/writers, scanners or
even disks by connecting two (or more) computers to
the same scsi bus. Because connecting two host adapters,
isn't a special case at all. The paranoid worrying about
adapter failure can have a spare adapter on the
same scsi bus, ready to take over on the fly.

And scsi just works, at least in my experience. (As long
as cabling is within spec, at least.) IDE users seems to
have some "don't use this disk with that chipset at
those dma speeds" issues that I never hear about with scsi.
And such issues comes up over and over everytime there is a
new IDE standard. New scsi standards seems to be less trouble,
you automatically get the speed of the slower device without
those spectacular hangs.

Helge Hafting