Re: New Linux 2.5 - 2.6 TODO (Alan Cox suggestsdelaying

From: Alan Cox (alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk)
Date: Mon Jun 05 2000 - 19:31:53 EST

> ;-) I don't think either FS will get through 2.5 without a major logging
> overhaul. I've got some hash tables I would love to throw out, and
> will probably integrate all the logging into the page cache.

This basically is what all of this comes down to

Do we

A. Add all these various journalling file systems in 2.4 and try and
        sort out the common journalling/support code in 2.5

B. Defer merging with the main tree on the assumption all the vendors
        can and will do merging so that when we put them in the main tree
        we do so with the common stuff sorted out properly first

And thats a call Linus has to make not me

> love to see a flood of email telling us the old format support is working
> well on people's test machines (which all have recent, verified backups
> too).

nod