Re: (reiserfs) Re: New Linux 2.5 - 2.6 TODO (Alan Cox suggestsdelaying

From: quade@therim.net
Date: Mon Jun 05 2000 - 20:10:28 EST

On Tue, 6 Jun 2000, Alan Cox wrote:

> > ;-) I don't think either FS will get through 2.5 without a major logging
> > overhaul. I've got some hash tables I would love to throw out, and
> > will probably integrate all the logging into the page cache.
>
> This basically is what all of this comes down to
>
> Do we
>
> A. Add all these various journalling file systems in 2.4 and try and
> sort out the common journalling/support code in 2.5
>
> B. Defer merging with the main tree on the assumption all the vendors
> can and will do merging so that when we put them in the main tree
> we do so with the common stuff sorted out properly first
>
> And thats a call Linus has to make not me

ok, just an average user speaking here. I'm just a CS student, but know
enough to use reiserfs when applicable, and know a little C++. here's my
question. Why should the linux kernel wait for all the other file systems
to implement any journeled fs. While this would make great business
sence, does it realy make sence in an open develoment environment. Now,
it sounds like you are trying to give everyone a fair chance. That will
never happen though. By the time ext3, xfs, etc get to the level that
reiserfs is currently, reiserfs will be just that much more ahead of the
curve, and hence, still have the advantage.

Now as a user, I would realy like to see a journeled file system in the
main kernel tree. There was one instance where I installed Linux on a
friends computer, and got it up and running just fine. Then being a
windows user, he just switched the power off without a proper shutdown.
After a one hour fsck on his 4 gig partision, I found that his config
files for X were all messed up. I couldn't delete them and start from
scratch, couldn't edit them, nothing. I would have had to go in there
manualy with debugfs and remove the inodes. I don't feel comfertable
doing this, so I just re-named the old files to something else, and
created new config files from scratch. Now do you realy think that it
impressed my friend that after one improper shutdown, I had to do one and
a half hours of work to get his system working again.

I've seen this happen to my system also with an improper shutdown. I've
never seen anything like this happen with any of my reiserfs partisions.
ext2 is old, and has problems. Why hold back linux (or GNU/Linux if you
swing that way) just because you don't want reiserfs to get a head start
(which is what you seam to want) ?

later

Cris Wade

p.s. reiserfs was a godsend to me. On a squid server I have, using ext2fs
I had to re-format the partision about once every 6 weeks because it would
get all messed up. I've had reiserfs on it for the past 7 months and
havn't had one problem (I had no UPS on it, so a power falure was a hard
crash, and ext2 kept messing stuff up)