Re: New Linux 2.5 - 2.6 TODO (Alan Cox suggestsdelaying

From: CaT (cat@zip.com.au)
Date: Mon Jun 05 2000 - 23:55:24 EST

On Tue, Jun 06, 2000 at 01:31:53AM +0100, Alan Cox wrote:
> > ;-) I don't think either FS will get through 2.5 without a major logging
> > overhaul. I've got some hash tables I would love to throw out, and
> > will probably integrate all the logging into the page cache.
>
> This basically is what all of this comes down to
>
> Do we
>
> A. Add all these various journalling file systems in 2.4 and try and
> sort out the common journalling/support code in 2.5
>
> B. Defer merging with the main tree on the assumption all the vendors
> can and will do merging so that when we put them in the main tree
> we do so with the common stuff sorted out properly first

B is only valid for those who use vendor's kernels. A would make the
life of those who fall into category C easier. :)

--
CaT (cat@zip.com.au)                       URL: http://www.zip.com.au/dev/null

'He had position, but I was determined to score.' -- Worf, DS9, Season 5: 'Let He Who Is Without Sin...'