Re: ULTRA ATA/100 announced

From: Bryan -TheBS- Smith (thebs@theseus.com)
Date: Mon Jun 05 2000 - 16:03:10 EST

On Mon, 05 Jun 2000, David Weinehall wrote:
> Well, I'm not sure ATA/100 outdoes Ultra2/LVD (but it might), and ATA
> still hasn't got 15 device (+ adapter of course) chains, so there are
> still several uses for SCSI.

If "sector remapping" became a feature in ATA, it would look mighty
inviting as a replacement for most (still not all) users of SCSI --
at least it would sell me in all but the highest-end of
applications.

I think vendors like 3ware (http://www.3ware.com) have shown that
ATA RAID is a viable option from the "bang-for-the-buck" view, as
long as you put a good co-processor on-board.

Unfortunately, companies like Promise Technology sell so-called
ATA RAID controllers that are quite dumb, and their FastTrak66
controller is no different than their standard Ultra66 adapter,
except for the firmware, and the 300-400% markup in price.

-- TheBS

--
 Bryan "TheBS" Smith -- Engineer, IT Professional and Hacker
      E-mail:  mailto:thebs@theseus.com,b.j.smith@ieee.org