Re: via-rhine: NETDEV WATCHDOG: eth0: transmit timed out

From: Matthias Leonhardt (i7lema@rz.uni-jena.de)
Date: Mon Jun 05 2000 - 07:30:45 EST

In local.lists.linuxkernel, you wrote:

>I run into this problem a few months ago, I believe on a K6, Asus P5A
>system. It worked fine, but a large FTP transfers triggered the same
>problem. I tried replacing the hub, the cables, with no luck. Since I
>had little time to test it, I finally replaced the card.
>(under 2.2.xx). But playing with X made it hang. See below for
details...

I have the same problem.
After update of kernel from 2.2.13 to 2.2.14 the netdevice gave up its
function after a hugh number of small net-pakets
(i.e. X-Server-traffic).
Asus P5A(1007), Via-rhine, 100 MBit-switch

Now the clou:
on my server (the other side of the switch) runs a kernel 2.2.13 with
the same Board and netcard.
after doing a "ifconfig eth0 down; ifconfig eth0 up" the net works
properly again.

The same Problem under Win2000Pro: After starting a XServer under
Windows, the net is unreachable. After restarting Windows all works
properly...

Till kernel 2.2.13 the via-driver shows its message:
via-rhine.c:v1.05-LK1.1.5 5/2/2000 Written by Donald Becker
http://www.scyld.com/network/via-rhine.html
more then 6 times while starting but works then without problems - I
ignored it...
Till 2.4.0-test1 it writes this message only one time. I don't know if
the problem comes from the 2.2.13-via-driver or the netcard...

It would be great, if you can contact me, when you find a solution of
the problem!

Thanks in advance and sorry for my bad english - I'm learning it yet.

--

bye, Leo. --- Some OS TELL what they can do - Linux DOES it... --- please visit my homepage at http://www.uni-jena.de/~i7lema