Re: via-rhine: NETDEV WATCHDOG: eth0: transmit timed out

From: Marco Colombo (marco@esi.it)
Date: Mon Jun 05 2000 - 11:09:43 EST

On Mon, 5 Jun 2000, Matthias Leonhardt wrote:

> In local.lists.linuxkernel, you wrote:
>
> >I run into this problem a few months ago, I believe on a K6, Asus P5A
> >system. It worked fine, but a large FTP transfers triggered the same
> >problem. I tried replacing the hub, the cables, with no luck. Since I
> >had little time to test it, I finally replaced the card.
> >(under 2.2.xx). But playing with X made it hang. See below for
> details...
>
> I have the same problem.
> After update of kernel from 2.2.13 to 2.2.14 the netdevice gave up its
> function after a hugh number of small net-pakets
> (i.e. X-Server-traffic).
> Asus P5A(1007), Via-rhine, 100 MBit-switch
>
> Now the clou:
> on my server (the other side of the switch) runs a kernel 2.2.13 with
> the same Board and netcard.
> after doing a "ifconfig eth0 down; ifconfig eth0 up" the net works
> properly again.
>
> The same Problem under Win2000Pro: After starting a XServer under
> Windows, the net is unreachable. After restarting Windows all works
> properly...
>
> Till kernel 2.2.13 the via-driver shows its message:
> via-rhine.c:v1.05-LK1.1.5 5/2/2000 Written by Donald Becker
> http://www.scyld.com/network/via-rhine.html
> more then 6 times while starting but works then without problems - I
> ignored it...
> Till 2.4.0-test1 it writes this message only one time. I don't know if
> the problem comes from the 2.2.13-via-driver or the netcard...
>
> It would be great, if you can contact me, when you find a solution of
> the problem!
>
> Thanks in advance and sorry for my bad english - I'm learning it yet.
>

> --
>
> bye, Leo.
> ---
> Some OS TELL what they can do - Linux DOES it...
> ---
> please visit my homepage at http://www.uni-jena.de/~i7lema

Hi Leo.

Well, I've begin testing the GA-71XE motherboard (by Gigabyte).
This is a AMD 751/756 based board.

I have not been able to reproduce the problem, yet. Everything seems to
work fine. The setup is just the same, but the motherboard.

Is anyone aware of incompatibility problems between Asus motherboards
and D-Link 530DFE cards?

.TM.

--
     /      /       /			Marco Colombo