Re: (reiserfs) Re: New Linux 2.5 - 2.6 TODO (Alan Cox suggests delaying reiserfs integration)

From: Sasi Peter (sape@iq.rulez.org)
Date: Mon Jun 05 2000 - 07:32:49 EST

On Mon, 5 Jun 2000, Richard Torkar wrote:
> FWIW I have to agree with Rik on this matter.
> Changing the on-disk format every few weeks is very counterproductive for
> the people using resierfs. That is the only reason for me _not_ using
> reiserfs on 100 computers @ work.

Stop misconstruction of Hans' statement, you are always looking at is
like: how would I do? Then negate that action, and assume, they are going
to to exactly the worst possible thing, you can get into your minds.
Being mostly justa reader of this list, IIRC I have months ago read about
Hans' plans of a development model, for the case beyound expectations,
having ReiserFS in the mainstream kernel:
Not suprising at all, he had planned that the 2.4.x versions would have an
on-disk format retained from the 2.3 -> 2.4 transition, _no_ _changes_ to
that, and they would do all the development in: *suprise* the 2.5.x
branch.
I am even sure, that even if the have not had this plan up till now, If
you think, this is an eligible solution, I would be easy to convince them
to do so.
One more thing: they do have this infrastructure (stable and development
versions) already, they have a very enthusiastic developer team, also got
the balls to find sponsors, so that they can really concentrate on making
a good job; why would not you finally adopt their FS into the kernel???
(as a sidenote, Hans was still gentleman enough, to always be calm, and
just assing the work force of his team to developing the requested
changes, for eg. the VFS layer, to help acceptance of the code, when the
actual letter listing the requested changes perfunctorily contained more
WTFs and alikes, than useful words.)

> As far as I know Linus hasn't made any decision regarding this matter and
> the last thing I read was that he'd like a journaling fs in the 2.4
> kernel.

That is right, and I suppose it is because he also considers ReiserFS to
be production quality.

Correct me, if I have mistaken any facts (I really did not search the
archives, have only used my memory).

-- SaPE

Peter, Sasi <sape@sch.hu>