Re: Cryptography in the kernel (was: Re: Linux 2.5 / 2.6 TODO (preliminary))

From: Walter Hofmann (walter.hofmann@physik.stud.uni-erlangen.de)
Date: Wed May 31 2000 - 15:45:30 EST

On Wed, 31 May 2000, Stuart Lynne wrote:

> Having a patch to remove something an end user cannot have will not work.

Just like a patch adding something.

> The end user would still end up (briefly) having the illegal version.

End users will not compile a kernel themselves anyway. The distribution
they use will come with one supplied for them.

> If we wish to support end users in countries that cannot import crypto
> then they must have access to a tarball that does not have crypto.

Indeed. Someone should make a crypto-free tarball for them.

There is no point compromising the security of the majority of Linux
users just because some countries have stupid laws. People in such
countries will have do do one extra step if they care to stay legal.
Thus the main kernel should contain cryptography.

Walter