Re: Cryptography in the kernel (was: Re: Linux 2.5 / 2.6 TODO (preliminary))

From: Stuart Lynne (sl@whiskey.fireplug.net)
Date: Wed May 31 2000 - 11:55:10 EST

In article <20000531161727.A10871@frodo.rrze.uni-erlangen.de>,
Walter Hofmann <walter.hofmann@physik.stud.uni-erlangen.de> wrote:
>On Wed, 31 May 2000, Jan-Benedict Glaw wrote:
>
>> Do you really think all that crypto stuff should be in a standard kernel?
>> Even if there's no longer any problem to *export* it from Amerika, there
>> might be problems *importing* it into more restrictive countries like
>> China or France or so...
>
>AFAIK France dropped that part of its legislation.
>
>Crypto is OK for most countries now. We should aim at including crypto
>in the kernel and provide a patch that _removes_ it for those countries
>that restrict the use or import of cryptogrphy.
>
>Making such a patch is as easy as reversing the patches that add
>cryptography. It also shifts the work to those who oppose
>cryptography; rightfully so IMO.

Having a patch to remove something an end user cannot have will not work.

The end user would still end up (briefly) having the illegal version.

If we wish to support end users in countries that cannot import crypto
then they must have access to a tarball that does not have crypto.

--
                                            __O
Fireplug - a Lineo company                _-\<,_