Re: Cryptography in the kernel (was: Re: Linux 2.5 / 2.6 TODO (preliminary))

From: Ed Carp (erc@pobox.com)
Date: Wed May 31 2000 - 13:36:45 EST

Stuart Lynne (sl@whiskey.fireplug.net) writes:

> In article <20000531161727.A10871@frodo.rrze.uni-erlangen.de>,
> Walter Hofmann <walter.hofmann@physik.stud.uni-erlangen.de> wrote:
> >On Wed, 31 May 2000, Jan-Benedict Glaw wrote:
> >
> >> Do you really think all that crypto stuff should be in a standard kernel?
> >> Even if there's no longer any problem to *export* it from Amerika, there
> >> might be problems *importing* it into more restrictive countries like
> >> China or France or so...
> >
> >AFAIK France dropped that part of its legislation.

Ah, I wasn't aware of that, thanks for the info.

> >Crypto is OK for most countries now. We should aim at including crypto
> >in the kernel and provide a patch that _removes_ it for those countries
> >that restrict the use or import of cryptogrphy.
> >
> >Making such a patch is as easy as reversing the patches that add
> >cryptography. It also shifts the work to those who oppose
> >cryptography; rightfully so IMO.
>
> Having a patch to remove something an end user cannot have will not work.
>
> The end user would still end up (briefly) having the illegal version.

Some "laws" are unjust and evil. Just because there is a law doesn't make it
right.

> If we wish to support end users in countries that cannot import crypto
> then they must have access to a tarball that does not have crypto.

I think we ought to do just the opposite - embed crypto so thoroughly in the
kernel that they'd *never* get it out... :)

Governments that try to ban even the most basic rights (like that of privacy)
using the excuse of "national security" are evil and have no right to even
exist.

--
Ed Carp, N7EKG  	erc@pobox.com		940/367-2744 cell phone
			http://www.pobox.com/~erc