Cryptography in the kernel (was: Re: Linux 2.5 / 2.6 TODO (preliminary))

From: Walter Hofmann (walter.hofmann@physik.stud.uni-erlangen.de)
Date: Wed May 31 2000 - 09:17:27 EST

On Wed, 31 May 2000, Jan-Benedict Glaw wrote:

> Do you really think all that crypto stuff should be in a standard kernel?
> Even if there's no longer any problem to *export* it from Amerika, there
> might be problems *importing* it into more restrictive countries like
> China or France or so...

AFAIK France dropped that part of its legislation.

Crypto is OK for most countries now. We should aim at including crypto
in the kernel and provide a patch that _removes_ it for those countries
that restrict the use or import of cryptogrphy.

Making such a patch is as easy as reversing the patches that add
cryptography. It also shifts the work to those who oppose
cryptography; rightfully so IMO.

> I think only the complete API should go in -- crypto modules should be
> in a separate tarball...

Cryptography APIs are often enough as resticted as cryptography itself.
So this doesn't solve the problem.

Walter