Re: Linux 2.5 / 2.6 TODO (preliminary)

From: David Woodhouse (dwmw2@infradead.org)
Date: Wed May 31 2000 - 09:13:33 EST

jbglaw@lug-owl.de said:
> Do you really think all that crypto stuff should be in a standard
> kernel? Even if there's no longer any problem to *export* it from
> Amerika, there might be problems *importing* it into more restrictive
> countries like China or France or so...

> I think only the complete API should go in -- crypto modules should be
> in a separate tarball...

I disagree. Some tinpot dictatorship somewhere could ban code with error
messages in English. Should we then localise every printk just for them, or
let someone change it all when they import it into that country?

If it's really a problem for Linux to be imported into, for example, China -
because of the presence of crypto code, then some enterprising Chinese
individual will almost certainly download it, strip out the crypto, and make
it available the other side of the Great Firewall. All within hours if not
minutes of the first release of the 'official' kernel containing the crypto
code.

Once crypto gets into the kernel, we could even continue to maintain the
patches on kerneli.org, but with the intention that people should apply them
with -R if they need to :)

But there's no need to make life more difficult for those who live in the
Free World (and I actually include the USA in that, for once.)

--
dwmw2