Re: Advertising SuSe on lkml

From: Garst R. Reese (reese@isn.net)
Date: Tue May 30 2000 - 19:09:31 EST

Vojtech Pavlik wrote:

> Well, going to www.linux-usb.org, and then following a link on the first
> page you see is in my opinion a quite easy way to find the USB backport.
>
> Or try Google with the keywords "USB backport" ... the above mentioned
> link comes out first.
Faboulous hindsight, must be Monday morning:)
Still, that was not my issue. Yes, I supposed that patches could be
found. I simply objected to the wording -- Buy the SuSe CD. And, I
suppose that is the only way to verify that the various patches are the
ones SuSe applied.
But, Pavel posted SuSe's URL to the patch, and that is good enough for
me.

> And yes, while the USB support was working well for a long time, it
> wasn't enough stable to include in the 2.2 kernels. You need rock solid
> performance to include such a thing in a 2.2 kernel, and that was
> something the USB code didn't have.
>
> It's slowly getting better, although it's not perfect yet. I hope the
> early 2.4 days will give it enough testing to weed out the last
> glitches.
>
> So no, the long development cycle wasn't a cause that kept the USB out
> of a stable kernel.
Thanks for the info.
Garst