Re: Advertising SuSe on lkml

From: Vojtech Pavlik (vojtech@suse.cz)
Date: Tue May 30 2000 - 18:30:52 EST

On Mon, May 29, 2000 at 10:29:35AM -0300, Garst R. Reese wrote:

> > In fact I written that there's backport (that was first sentence). You
> > don't even need to look into SuSE's srpms:
> > http://www.suse.cz/development/backport is the way to go, and (almost)
> > everyone knows that.
> >
> Thanks for the URL Pavel. Sorry if I got a bit harsh. I do appreciate
> the contributions SuSe and RedHat folks make kernel dev., and the fact
> that it takes money. I also worry about what the financial pressures
> might bring, but have admired the fact that you all (almost:) never push
> your own product on the list. I guess a red flag went up.
>
> As Victor points out, finding the right patch is not easy. I assumed
> that there was one somewhere on suse, but the Buy the CD statement let
> to question that assumption. Of course I never misword anything:)

Well, going to www.linux-usb.org, and then following a link on the first
page you see is in my opinion a quite easy way to find the USB backport.

Or try Google with the keywords "USB backport" ... the above mentioned
link comes out first.

--

And yes, while the USB support was working well for a long time, it wasn't enough stable to include in the 2.2 kernels. You need rock solid performance to include such a thing in a 2.2 kernel, and that was something the USB code didn't have.

It's slowly getting better, although it's not perfect yet. I hope the early 2.4 days will give it enough testing to weed out the last glitches.

So no, the long development cycle wasn't a cause that kept the USB out of a stable kernel.

-- Vojtech Pavlik SuSE Labs