Re: Advertising SuSe on lkml

From: Khimenko Victor (khim@sch57.msk.ru)
Date: Mon May 29 2000 - 07:09:19 EST

In <20000529133150.A20247@atrey.karlin.mff.cuni.cz> Pavel Machek (pavel@suse.cz) wrote:
PM> Hi!

>> > I find this really offensive. Since when do we have to buy a some stupid
>> > assed distro (e.g. SuSe, RH) to get what they perceive as stability.
>> > SuSe = RH = M$
>>
>> Who said you need to buy anything ? Sources are out there. But yes,
>> it's really

PM> In fact I written that there's backport (that was first sentence). You
PM> don't even need to look into SuSE's srpms:
PM> http://www.suse.cz/development/backport is the way to go, and (almost)
PM> everyone knows that.

Just like "almost everyone" knows that you can find RAID patches... hm
whereever you can find them if you need working RAID in 2.2, you can find IDE
patches if you KNOW about them on other ftp site, xfs on third site and so on...
Perhaps. If "anyone" is "anyone involved in linux kernel development".
Unfortunatelly it's MINORITY. Most users just do not have time to track all
lk-related mailing lists, web servers and so on. This "I plan to do <something>"
"Hey, you are late - there are already exist patch for <something> at
<URL-few-hundred-characters-long> site" plot is BAD symptom: there are NO
working list of patches floating around. Something akin to sourceforge but
slightly different (sourceforge projects must be registered but then you have
CVS, web site and so on; kernel patches usually small and simple enough to
live happy without CVS or they have site on their own but most authors just do
not have time/power to register it via complex procedure somewhere). Something
like that was @ kernelnotes.org (when it was linuxhq.com yet) but it's not
working/supported anymore.

PM> Linus said he do not want backport to be merged into 2.2 -- that's why
PM> 2.2. does now have decent usb.

2.2 is not have decent USB, RAID, devfs and so on. And it's not a problem as
far as you know that you can add them. But to find out where (and if) such
patches can be found you need to dig deep in lklm archives. All this screams
"linux kernel development cycle is too long" is not since peoples need 2.4
faster. They need USB, they need 64GiB RAM, etc. And quite a few important
features are backported to (or even was initially developed for) 2.2. If it
was easy (easy for outsider!) to find them quite a few peoples will become
much more happier.