Re: Advertising SuSe on lkml

From: Khimenko Victor (khim@sch57.msk.ru)
Date: Mon May 29 2000 - 04:36:32 EST

In <3931CEEE.6B505007@isn.net> Garst R. Reese (reese@isn.net) wrote:
> I find this really offensive. Since when do we have to buy a some stupid
> assed distro (e.g. SuSe, RH) to get what they perceive as stability.
> SuSe = RH = M$

Who said you need to buy anything ? Sources are out there. But yes, it's really
annoying: you need USB - you can use SuSE's kernel; you need RAID - you can use
RedHat's or Mandrake's kernel. You need both - you need to download both RPM's,
pull out patches from .src.rpm and combine them by hand (few times when I
checked RAID patches for recent kernel were NOT available from ftp.kernel.org -
only from RedHat's/Mandrake's src.rpm). So basicelly Linux supports this, that
and those just fine... as far as you have enough detective skills. Joe Average
is NOT detective (and why should he be one?). Too bad there are no central
repository for unofficial patches (there are few and each one contains under
10% of usefull patches).