RE: Slow development cycle

From: Dunlap, Randy (randy.dunlap@intel.com)
Date: Sun May 28 2000 - 22:48:00 EST

> > > The big big one right now is probably to use the USB stuff
aggressively
> > > and report problems/fix them. The USB stuff is almost there but it
really
> > > does need lots of people using it who are prepared to chase down
oopses
> > > they get and fix the locking and other little glitches left.
> >
> > So that's what 2.4.0 through 2.4.4 are for. The distros won't pick it up
> > until ~ 2.4.5 anyway.
>
> Well it would be nice to make it work for 2.4.0 wouldnt it 8)

There's a difference between "it works" and "it's perfect". I think we've
passed the "it works" stage right now. I guess that depends on your
definition of "works" :)

Kenneth

There are a lot of working USB drivers right now
and some devices that don't work.
There are a few systems where IRQs aren't assigned properly
and USB doesn't get an interrupt.
The biggest thing that we have to work on right now is
driver-device binding, which is mostly in userspace.

~Randy [yes, I'm the USB subsystem maintainer]