Re: any chance we could dump the 64k subdirectory limit before 2.4 ships?

From: Andries Brouwer (aeb@veritas.com)
Date: Sat May 27 2000 - 08:34:34 EST

On Sat, May 27, 2000 at 08:29:38AM -0400, Alexander Viro wrote:

> It isn't different from multiple syscalls - you are just passing
> the number through another register.

Somehow it sounds as if you do not grasp the difference
between four things and four versions of one thing.

As if you do not see the advantages of a structured namespace.

It happens all the time that we have a system call and
need a different version.
The setup with versions is more powerful than the setup
with separate unrelated syscall numbers. Think about it.
Imagine that Linux will still be alive fifty years from now.

Andries