Re: any chance we could dump the 64k subdirectory limit before 2.4ships?

From: Hans Reiser (hans@reiser.to)
Date: Sun May 28 2000 - 21:00:04 EST

Alexander Viro wrote:

> On Sat, 27 May 2000, Andries Brouwer wrote:
>
> > On Fri, May 26, 2000 at 09:07:58PM -0400, Alexander Viro wrote:
> >
> > > Look: there are other good reasons to change struct stat and I'm not too
> > > happy about doing it in $BIGNUM steps, each resulting in new triple of
> > > syscalls. If we are going to do that at all we'ld better do it at once.

I think we should defer changes to stat() until 6 months before 2.6 ships, and
then give it the most complete well thought out overhaul we can.

VFS should be able to handle arbitrary attributes, and stat should be just a
special case selection of them to query. When we change the type of what stat()
returns, let's do it not more than once per major Linux release. Viro is right
about this. Viro, I propose that 9 months before you guess that 2.6 will ship
you announce that in three months the format for stat() will change, and that we
all defer discussions of stat() changes until then.

Hans