Re: Announcing CML2, a replacement for the kbuild system

From: Alan Cox (alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk)
Date: Thu May 25 2000 - 11:11:14 EST

> I will not install python to be able to compile my kernel.
> And bloating the kernel by several hundred K to link in some python byte
> code interpreter is just as bad.

What on earth are you smoking. Python is used to configure the kernel not
compiled into it.

> Right now it is difficult enough to direct a naive user to some obscure
> kernel option that I want him to set.

You give the CONFIG_ name. That is constant across the various string sets

> Experiences with SuSE have shown that internationalization makes bug
> reports much more difficult and causes a great deal of confusion.

And had SuSE stuck to German only nobody would have heard of them. You can't
expect everyone to be happy in English. Deal with it. Make sure the CONFIG_
names are constant across translation and visible and the rest can be dealt
with.

Alan