Re: Announcing CML2, a replacement for the kbuild system

From: Felix von Leitner (felix@convergence.de)
Date: Thu May 25 2000 - 10:34:08 EST

Thus spake Eric Raymond (esr@snark.thyrsus.com):
> The 7049 lines of CML1 in the 2.3.99-pre9 kernel translate to a hair
> less than 2400 lines of CML2, a reduction by a factor of about three.
> The CML2 compiler and prototype interpreter are the same factor of
> three smaller than the nearly 10,000 lines of code in the CML1
> interpreters and tools. Where CML1 is a complex mixture of C, shell,
> Tcl/Tk, and Makefiles, CML2 is all be written in a single language
> (Python).

I'd rather have 10 layers of brittle shell, awk, sed and
self-manipulating Makefiles, and a little C or C++ than one layer of
Python.

I will not install python to be able to compile my kernel.
And bloating the kernel by several hundred K to link in some python byte
code interpreter is just as bad.

Rewrite it in portable C or forget it.

> 6. Internationalization

> CML2 query prompts and menu banners are separated from the symbol
> dependency declarations. Thus CML2 system definitions can be
> internationalized and localized.

Argh! More bloat and confusion!
Right now it is difficult enough to direct a naive user to some obscure
kernel option that I want him to set.

Experiences with SuSE have shown that internationalization makes bug
reports much more difficult and causes a great deal of confusion.

Felix