Re: Devel kernel floppy module

From: Andries Brouwer (aeb@veritas.com)
Date: Thu May 25 2000 - 11:22:29 EST

On Thu, May 25, 2000 at 11:26:44AM -0400, Charles Fulton wrote:

> I'm having troubles with the floppy driver in some of the most recent
> devel kernels. It's been broken since 2.3.99-pre5. I've tried all of
> them since that with no luck.

Look at some recent linux-kernel post by me.
Relevant are:

(i) The module system is broken: when you remove a module,
recompile and reinsert, some old pointers survive, and the
machine crashes later when these pointers are used.
So, if you want to test a floppy fix, reboot.

(ii) The floppy driver assumes that open() is done before check_media_change().
Since recently that is no longer the case, and consequently the floppy
driver is broken (and does random things - it might even accidentally work).
Yesterday or the day before I posted an ugly kludge that just ignores a
check_media_change() before the open().

Andries